Human Resource Certification Institute Certification Corner
Welcome to the HR Certification Institute CORNER and a place where you can find some answers to your questions regarding HR certification. We also plan to keep you informed about the PHR/SPHR certification through the Chapter's Newsletter, Monthly Chapter Meetings and the VSHRM Website.
Already Certified and Looking to Earn SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Classification?
The SHRM certification Online Tutorial Pathway is now available at shrmcertification.org/pathway. This is the way for currently certified HR professionals (PHR, SPHR, GPHR, HRBP, CHRP, SHRP, MCIPD, FCIPD and IPMA-CA) to obtain SHRM certification credentials at no charge. You will need your current certification details, such as certification name, issue date and expiration date early in the process. You have until December 31, 2015 to complete the steps involved.
Why is Certification Desirable?
The PHR and SPHR designations are a visible reminder to peers and co-workers of the holder's significant professional achievement. It is also an aid to career advancement, just ask a fellow chapter member who has PHR or SPHR Certification.
Purpose and Use of Certification
PHR and SPHR certification shows that the holder has demonstrated mastery of the HR body of knowledge and through recertification, has accepted the challenge to stay informed of new developments in the HR field.
Effective 2011, HR Certification Eligibility Requirements Change!
- PHR Eligibility Requirements: Four years demonstrated exempt level HR experience with less than a bachelor’s degree; two years of demonstrated exempt level HR experience with a bachelor’s degree; or one year of demonstrated exempt level HR experience with a master’s degree or higher.
- SPHR Eligibility Requirements: Seven years of demonstrated exempt level HR experience with less than a bachelor’s degree; five years of demonstrated exempt level HR experience with a bachelor’s degree; or four years demonstrated exempt level HR experience with a master’s degree or higher.
- GPHR Eligibility Requirements: Four years of demonstrated exempt level HR experience (with two of the four being global HR experience) with less than a bachelor’s degree,; three years of demonstrated exempt-level HR experience (with two of the three being global HR experience) with a bachelor’s degree; or two years of demonstrated global exempt level HR experience with a master’s degree or higher.
- Students: Will not be eligible to sit for the certification exams until they have the required level of exempt work experience for their educational level.
- Current Certified HR Professionals: Certified professionals who would like to recertify by exam in 2011 or after must meet the new eligibility requirements in order to take the exam, even if they are eligible for the exam under the current standards.
HOW TO GET STARTED...
Certification Information Handbook
Includes valuable information about the examinations, the content outline, the application dates and fees. This handbook is now available online in both HTML and PDF version at www.hrci.org.
PHR & SPHR At A Glance
Recertification: It’s Easier Than You Think
PREPARING FOR CERTIFICATION
College and University Courses
A textbook is often used in conjunction with the instructor-designed materials. HR Certification Institute always recommends, however, that multiple resources be used to prepare for the examination.
View information for Online On-Demenad Certification Prep course at SVSU: http://www.svsu.edu/shrm/shrmlearningonlinedemandhrprogram/
The HR Certification Institute Certification Guide is an excellent resource on how to approach certification. It includes the test specifications, recommended study resources, and a 135 question sample test. Its affordable price ($20-$25) and comprehensive format make it a ëmust have’ resource for anyone preparing for either examination level. It can be purchased through the SHRM bookstore at http://shrmstore.shrm.org/, Amazon.com (www.amazon.com) or Barnes and Noble online www.barnesandnoble.com.
The SHRM Learning System covers all functional areas found in the test specifications. It includes self-directed modules, application activities and end-of-module examinations. It was follows the HR Certification Institute body of knowledge test specifications and can be purchased through the SHRM bookstore at http://shrmstore.shrm.org/.
HR textbooks are often a good study resource and many are listed in the HR Certification Institute Certification Guide. Textbooks should be up-to-date and other resources more than two years old should be used with great caution.
VSHRM Member Study Groups will be formed based upon member interest in response to notification prior to the winter and spring exam windows. In response to member interest, VSHRM will help coordinate the formation of member study groups including dates, times, and location.
A Mentor Concept
Another excellent way to receive support is through a mentor.